|as bróad as it is lóng||bróad in the béam|
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2010/05/29 06:28 UTC 版)
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2013/06/18 21:48 UTC 版)
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2014/01/26 14:47 UTC 版)
From Middle English brood, brode, from 古期英語 brād (“broad, flat, open, extended, spacious, wide, ample, copious”), from Proto-Germanic *braidaz (“broad”), of uncertain origin. Cognate with Scots braid (“broad”), West Frisian breed (“broad”), Saterland Frisian breed (“broad”), Low German breed (“broad”), breet, Dutch breed (“broad”), German breit (“broad, wide”), Danish bred (“broad”), Swedish bred (“broad”), Icelandic breiður (“broad, wide”).
- Wide in extent or scope.
- 1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 2, The Celebrity:
- 2012 April 19, Josh Halliday, “Free speech haven or lawless cesspool – can the internet be civilised?”, the Guardian:
- 2013 June 28, Joris Luyendijk, “Our banks are out of control”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 3, page 21:
- Seeing the British establishment struggle with the financial sector is like watching an alcoholic […]. Until 2008 there was denial over what finance had become. […] But the scandals kept coming, and so we entered stage three – what therapists call "bargaining". A broad section of the political class now recognises the need for change but remains unable to see the necessity of a fundamental overhaul. Instead it offers fixes and patches.
- Extended, in the sense of diffused; open; clear; full.
- Having a large measure of any thing or quality; not limited; not restrained.
- Comprehensive; liberal; enlarged.
- Plain; evident.
- a broad hint
- Free; unrestrained; unconfined.
- (dated) Gross; coarse; indelicate.
- (of an accent) Strongly regional.
- (Gaelic languages) Velarized, i.e. not palatalized.
- (dated) A prostitute, a woman of loose morals.
- (米国用法) A woman or girl.
- Who was that broad I saw you with?
- (英国用法) A shallow lake, one of a number of bodies of water in eastern Norfolk and Suffolk.
- A lathe tool for turning down the insides and bottoms of cylinders.
該当件数 : 2939件
ソラ豆. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
広い土地. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
a broad street
広い街路. - 研究社 新英和中辞典