- ^ Don LePan, Doug Babington, Maureen Okun, The Broadview Guide to Writing, sixth edition (2015, ISBN 1770485678), page 361: Slang terms such as tranny and shemale are obviously offensive and should never be used by cisgender (that is, non-transgender) people.
- ^ Donna D. Ignatavicius, M. Linda Workman, Meg Blair, Medical-Surgical Nursing (2015, ISBN 1455772550): Other terms, such as “tranny,” “he-she,” or “shemale,” are offensive and hurtful. These terms and other negative comments should never be used.
- ^ Christina Richards, Meg Barker, Sexuality and Gender for Mental Health Professionals (2013, ISBN 1446293130): Shemale: Offensive term derived from pornography often used to refer to people who have a penis and breasts. Should never be used.
- ^ Tristan Taormino, Constance Penley, Celine Shimizu, The Feminist Porn Book: The Politics of Producing Pleasure (2013, ISBN 155861818X), page 157: With rare exceptions, trans women are not cast in any genre of mainstream porn (gonzo, features, girl/girl, かつ so on) except “tranny/shemale porn,” the derogatory phrase used to market trans women porn in the mainstream industry.
- ^ Faye Flam, The Score: How the Quest for Sex Has Shaped the Modern Man (2008, Avery, ISBN 978-1-58333-312-9) and Joan Roughgarden, Evolution's rainbow: diversity, gender, and sexuality in nature and people (2005, University of California Press, ISBN 978-0-520-24679-9)