|shíft for onesélf||shíft géars|
該当件数 : 26850件
職を変える. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
an eight‐hour shift
8時間交替. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
measures for preventing cargo shift
荷崩れ防止 - Weblio Email例文集
shift [shuffle off]
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2015/09/30 20:13 UTC 版)
From Middle English schiften, from 古期英語 sciftan (“to divide, separate into shares; appoint, ordain; arrange, organise”), from Proto-Germanic *skiftijaną, *skiptijaną, for earlier *skipatjaną (“to organise, put in order”), from Proto-Indo-European *skeyb- (“to separate, divide, part”), from Proto-Indo-European *skēy- (“to cut, divide, separate, part”). Cognate with Scots schift, skift (“to shift”), West Frisian skifte, skiftsje (“to sort”), Dutch schiften (“to sort, screen, winnow, part”), German schichten (“to stack, layer”), Swedish skifta (“to shift, change, exchange, vary”), Norwegian skifte (“to shift”), Icelandic skipta (“to switch”).
- (historical) a type of women's undergarment, a slip
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, Book V, chapter x
1762, Charles Johnstone, The Reverie; or, A Flight to the Paradise of Fools, volume 2, Dublin: Printed by Dillon Chamberlaine, OCLC 519072825, page 202:
- At length, one night, when the company by some accident broke up much sooner than ordinary, so that the candles were not half burnt out, she was not able to resist the temptation, but resolved to have them some way or other. Accordingly, as soon as the hurry was over, and the servants, as she thought, all gone to sleep, she stole out of her bed, and went down stairs, naked to her shift as she was, with a design to steal them […]
- 1919, W. Somerset Maugham, The Moon and Sixpence, chapter 47
- a change of workers, now specifically a set group of workers or period of working time
- an act of shifting; a slight movement or change
- (US) the gear mechanism in a motor vehicle
- Alternative spelling of
- (computing) a bit shift
- (baseball) The infield shift.
- (Ireland, crude slang, often with the definite article, usually uncountable) The act of sexual petting.
- (archaic) A contrivance, device to try when other methods fail
- (archaic) a trick, an artifice
- In building, the extent, or arrangement, of the overlapping of plank, brick, stones, etc., that are placed in courses so as to break joints.
- (mining) A breaking off and dislocation of a seam; a fault.
- (transitive) To change, swap.
2012 March 1, William E. Carter, Merri Sue Carter, “The British Longitude Act Reconsidered”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 87:
- (transitive) To move from one place to another; to redistribute.
2013 June 22, “T time”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8841, page 68:
- The ability to shift profits to low-tax countries by locating intellectual property in them, which is then licensed to related businesses in high-tax countries, is often assumed to be the preserve of high-tech companies. […] current tax rules make it easy for all sorts of firms to generate […] “stateless income”: profit subject to tax in a jurisdiction that is neither the location of the factors of production that generate the income nor where the parent firm is domiciled.
- (intransitive) To change position.
- (obsolete, transitive) To change (one's clothes); also to change (someone's) underclothes.
- (intransitive) To change gears (in a car).
- (typewriters) To move the keys of a typewriter over in order to type capital letters and special characters.
- (computer keyboards) To switch to a character entry mode for capital letters and special characters.
- (transitive, computing) To manipulate a binary number by moving all of its digits left or right; compare rotate.
- (transitive, computing) To remove the first value from an array.
- (transitive) To dispose of.
- (intransitive) To hurry.
- (Ireland, vulgar, slang) To engage in sexual petting.
- To resort to expedients for accomplishing a purpose; to contrive; to manage.
- To practice indirect or evasive methods.
該当件数 : 26850件
shift into high
トップに変える. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
work (on) the night shift
夜勤で働く. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
a shift of scenery
場面の転換. - 研究社 新英和中辞典
- 【教えて下さい】「乗り物は何分待ちです...」の英訳 (3492)
- 【教えて下さい】「子どもたちはどろだらけになりました」の英訳 (3101)
- 【教えて下さい】「take another 」の意味 (1508)
- 【あなたは】どっちの翻訳ショー【どっち？】 (607)
- 外国人に会ったときに。 (600)