turn (the other way) around
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2010/04/10 07:15 UTC 版)
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2014/07/10 21:16 UTC 版)
- (transitive, intransitive, 再帰的用法) To physically rotate horizontally 360 degrees.
- (transitive, intransitive, 再帰的用法) To change to the opposite direction from a previous position.
- 1756 Nov., The London magazine, or, Gentleman's monthly intelligencer, volume 25, page 517:
- 2013 June 28, Joris Luyendijk, “Our banks are out of control”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 3, page 21:
- (transitive, intransitive, 再帰的用法, sports) To reverse the expected outcome of a game, usually from a losing position to a winning one.
- 2011 February 1, Phil McNulty, “Arsenal 2-1 Everton”, BBC:
- (transitive, business, management) To reverse a trend, usually towards a more favorable outcome; to return (a business, department) to effectiveness, profitability, etc.
- (transitive, idiomatic, colloquial) To be duplicitous.
- (transitive, idiomatic, of an idea) To consider from a different viewpoint.
- (transitive, idiomatic, colloquial) (often with a unit of time) To produce; to output; to generate
- (idiomatic, buzzword, with "180 degrees") To effect a positive reversal of a trend.
- (idiomatic, buzzword, with "360 degrees") To make a situation worse by trying to make it better.
"I turned the project around 360 degrees" is belittled by prescriptivists, mathematicians and cartoonists alike. Often, the speaker intends the meaning of "180 degrees" but by evidence of their complete misunderstanding of conversational geometry, not only says the opposite, but gives listeners a good reason to believe that their intended effect did not come to pass. Instead, the situation was probably made worse; at best, one could suppose the net effect was nil, as if there truly had been a literal 360 degree rotation, exactly as the speaker said.
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2013/05/02 20:15 UTC 版)
- The act of turning to face in the other direction.
- A reversal of policy.
- The time required to carry out a task.
- A turnabout.
- (music) A cadence linking the end of a verse to the beginning of the next.
- (music) The notation for the addition of a grace note above then below a given note.
- U-turn (1, 2)
該当件数 : 383件
to turn around
向き直る - EDR日英対訳辞書
to be able to turn around
振り向ける - EDR日英対訳辞書
振り向いて。 - 愛知県総合教育センター Classroom English（教室英語集）