- Safety first.
- Safety lies in the middle course.
- Satan always finds work for idle hands.
- Say as men say, but think to yourself.
- Saying is one thing and doing another.
- Scratch me and I’ll scratch you.
- Scratch my back and I’ll scratch your back.
- Second thoughts are best.
- See Naples and then die.
- See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
- Seeing is believing.
- Seek and ye shall find.
- Seldom seen, soon forgotten.
- Self-praise is no recommendation.
- Self-preservation is the first law of nature.
- Send a fool to France, and he'll come back a fool.
- Send a wise man on an errand and say nothing unto him.
- Set a beggar on horseback and he'll ride to the devil.
- Set a thief to catch a thief.
- Shame take him that shame thinks.
- shoot Niagara
- Short reckonings make long friends.
- Silence gives consent.
- Silence is a woman’s best garment
- Silence is the best ornament of a woman.
- Silence means consent.
- Silent men, like still water, are deep and dangerous.
- Sing before breakfast, cry before night.
- Sleep is better than medicine.
- Slow and steady wins the race.
- Slow but sure wins the race.
- Slow but sure.
- Small is beautiful.
- Small pitchers have great ears.
- So many countries, so many customs.
- So many men, so many minds.
- So many men, so many opinions.
- Some are wise and some are otherwise.
- Some have been thought brave because they were afraid to run away.
- Some people cannot see the wood for the trees.
- Someone cannot see beyond the end of his nose.
- Someone is not out of the woods yet.
- Something is better than nothing.
- Soon got, soon spent.
- Soon learnt, soon forgotten.
- Soon ripe, soon rotten.
- Sooner begun, sooner done．
- Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.
- Spare the rod and spoil the child.
- Speak fair and think what you like.
- Speak of the wolf and he will appear.
- Speak softly and carry a big stick.
- Speak well of the dead.
- Speech is silver, silence is gold.
- Speech is the picture of the mind.
- Spread the table, and contention will cease.
- Steal a pig and give the feet for alms.
- Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
- Still waters run deep.
- Stolen fruit is sweet.
- Stolen pleasures are sweetest.
- Straight trees have crooked roots.
- Straws show which way the wind blows.
- Straws tell which way the wind blows.
- Stretch your arm no further than your sleeve will reach.
- Stretch your legs according to your coverlet.
- Strike while the iron is hot.
- Submitting to one wrong brings on another.
- Success has many friends.
- Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
- Sweet are the uses of adversity.