出典:Wikipedia
出典:『Wikipedia』 (2010/02/22 21:36 UTC 版)
The Factory House (also known the British Association House) is an 18th century Palladian building located in the Portuguese wine center of Oporto, Portugal. Constructed in 1790 by the British Port wine shippers, the building served as a gentleman's club and meeting place for the trade organization known as the British Association. The original Factory House opened at another location in Oporto in 1727. Conceived as a meeting place for British shippers to discuss business, the house became a private club for the British where they colluded to consolidate their monopoly over the Port wine industry. Eventually the Factory House moved to the Rua Nova dos Ingleses (The New Street of the English) by the Oporto docks. In 1806, the Portuguese government granted the land upon which the Factory House is built to the British consulate in perpetuity "....from this day and forever." The Factory House building is still open today and still serves as a meeting house for British Port shippers though the street has changed it name to now Rua do Infante Dom Henrique.