- Years know more than books.
- You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
- You can see a mote in another's eye but cannot see a beam in your own.
- You can take a horse to the water, but you can’t make him drink.
- You can't eat your cake and have it.
- You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
- You can't win 'em all.
- You cannot burn the candle at both ends.
- You cannot catch old birds with chaff.
- You cannot get a quart into a pint pot.
- You cannot get blood out of stone.
- You cannot get water out of stone.
- You cannot have it both ways.
- You cannot have your cake and eat it.
- You cannot know the wine by the barrel.
- You cannot lose what you never had.
- You cannot make a crab walk straight.
- You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
- You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs.
- You cannot make bricks without straw.
- You cannot put old heads on young shoulders.
- You cannot run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.
- You cannot see the city for the houses.
- You cannot sell the cow and drink the milk.
- You cannot serve God and mammon.
- You cannot shift an old tree without it dying.
- You do not get something for nothing.
- You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.
- You have to take the good with the bad.
- You may know by a handful the whole sack.
- You may see by a bit what the bread is.
- You must go into the country to hear what news at London.
- You must grin and bear it.
- You must lose a fly to catch a trout.
- You never know what you can do till you try.
- You never miss the water till the well runs dry.
- You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.
- You win a few, you lose a few.
- You win some, you lose some.
- Young colts will canter.
- Young men may die, but old men must die.
- Young men think old men fools, and old men know young men to be so.
- Young saint, old devil.
- Your wits are gone a wool-gathering.
- Youth and age will never agree.
- Youth must be served.
- Youth must have its fling.
- Youth will be served.
- Youth will have its course.
- Youth will have its swing.