|áll the wórld and his wífe|
該当件数 : 6614件
one's [sb's] wife
sb's ( beloved) wife
From Middle English wif, wiif, wyf, from 古期英語 wīf (“woman, female, lady, wife”), from Proto-Germanic *wībą (“woman, wife”), possibly from Proto-Indo-European *gʰwíbʰ- (“shame, pudenda”) (compare Tocharian A/B kip/kwīpe (“shame, genitals, female pudenda”)). Cognate with Scots wife (“wife”), West Frisian wiif (“wife, woman”), Saterland Frisian Wieuw (“woman, lady, female”), North Frisian wüf (“wife, woman”), Dutch wijf (“woman, female”), Low German Wief (“woman, female”), German Weib (“woman, wife, female”), Danish viv (“woman”), Norwegian viv (“wife, woman, girl”), Swedish viv (“woman”), Faroese vív (“wife, woman”), Icelandic víf (“woman”).
- A married woman, especially in relation to her spouse.
- The Fisherman and His Wife
- 1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 10, in The Mirror and the Lamp:
- It was a joy to snatch some brief respite, and find himself in the rectory drawing–room. Listening here was as pleasant as talking; just to watch was pleasant. The young priests who lived here wore cassocks and birettas; their faces were fine and mild, yet really strong, like the rector's face; and in their intercourse with him and his wife they seemed to be brothers.
- 1952, P. G. Wodehouse, Big Business, in 'A Few Quick Ones', Everyman, London: 2009, p 127-8.
- All through Reginald's deeply moving performance she had sat breathless, her mind in a whirl and her soul stirred to her very depths. With each low note that he pulled up from the soles of his shoes she could feel the old affection and esteem surging back into her with a whoosh, and long before he had taken his sixth bow she knew ... that it would be madness to try to seek happiness elsewhere, particularly as the wife of a man with large ears and no chin, who looked as if he were about to start in the two-thirty race at Kempton Park.
- 2014 March 3, Zoe Alderton, “‘Snapewives’ and ‘Snapeism’: A Fiction-Based Religion within the Harry Potter Fandom”, in Religions, volume 5, number 1, MDPI, DOI:10.3390/rel5010219, pages 219-257:
- Despite personal schisms and differences in spiritual experience, there is a very coherent theology of Snape shared between the wives. To examine this manifestation of religious fandom, I will first discuss the canon scepticism and anti-Rowling sentiment that helps to contextualise the wider belief in Snape as a character who extends beyond book and film.
- The female of a pair of mated animals.
- (Scotland) Synonym of .
- aad wife
- (From woman) alewife
- blue star wife
- Caesar's wife
- (partner) co-wife, cowife
- country wife
- devil's beating his wife
- (partner) ex-wife, ex wife
- (woman) fishwife (noun)
- gold star wife
- (woman) goodwife
- (partner) housewife
- husband and wife
- (partner) huswife
- (partner) man and wife
- (woman) midwife
- (woman) old wife/old-wife/oldwife
- oyster wife
- (woman) pudding-wife
- take a wife
- take to wife
- the world and his wife
- (partner) trophy wife
- (partner) wifebeater, wife-beater, wife beater (noun)
- wife-beating question
- wife carrying
- (woman/partner) wifehood (noun)
- (partner) wifeless (adjective)
- (woman) wifely (adjective)
- wife's best friend
- wife up
- (partner) wifey (noun)
- work wife
- ^ Adams, Douglas Q. (1999) A dictionary of Tocharian B (Leiden Studies in Indo-European; 10), Amsterdam, Atlanta: Rodopi, →ISBN, page 238
- ^ Klaus Totila Schmit and Klaus Strunk, “Toch. B kwī̆pe ‘Schaum, Schande’, A kip ‘Schaum’ und germ. *wīƀa ‘Weib’”, Indogermanica Europaea: Festschrift für Wolfgang Meid (Graz: Institut für Sprachwissenschaft der Universität Graz, 1989), pages 251-284
- ^ wife in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
該当件数 : 6614件
|Copyright (c) 1995-2021 Kenkyusha Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.|
|Copyright © Benesse Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.|
|© 2000 - 2021 Hyper Dictionary, All rights reserved|
|Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.|
|All Rights Reserved, Copyright © Japan Science and Technology Agency|
日本語ワードネット1.1版 (C) 情報通信研究機構, 2009-2010 License All rights reserved.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. License
|Copyright(C)2002-2021 National Institute of Information and Communications Technology. All Rights Reserved.|
|Copyright © 2021 CJKI. All Rights Reserved|
Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.
Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) and/or GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL).
Weblio英和・和英辞典に掲載されている「Wiktionary英語版」の記事は、Wiktionaryのwife (改訂履歴)の記事を複製、再配布したものにあたり、Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA)もしくはGNU Free Documentation Licenseというライセンスの下で提供されています。
|CMUdict||CMUdict is Copyright (C) 1993-2008 by Carnegie Mellon University.|