|from sóup to núts||in the sóup|
該当件数 : 2042件
From Middle English soupe, sowpe, from Old French soupe, souppe, sope, from Late Latin suppa (“sopped bread”), from Proto-Germanic *supô (compare Middle Dutch sope (“broth”)). Doublet of zuppa. See also sop and supper.
- Any of various dishes commonly made by combining liquids, such as water or stock with other ingredients, such as meat and vegetables, that contribute flavor and texture.
- c. 1430 (reprinted 1888), Thomas Austin, ed., Two Fifteenth-century Cookery-books. Harleian ms. 279 (ab. 1430), & Harl. ms. 4016 (ab. 1450), with Extracts from Ashmole ms. 1429, Laud ms. 553, & Douce ms. 55 [Early English Text Society, Original Series; 91], London: N. Trübner & Co. for the Early English Text Society, volume I, OCLC 374760, page 11:
- (figuratively) Any mixture or substance suggestive of soup consistency.
- (slang) Thick fog or cloud (also pea soup).
- (US, slang) Nitroglycerine or gelignite, especially when used for safe-cracking.
- (cant) Dope (illicit drug, used for making horses run faster または to change their personality).
- (photography) Processing chemicals into which film is dipped, such as developer.
- (biology) Liquid or gelatinous substrate, especially the mixture of organic compounds that is believe to have played a role in the origin of life on Earth.
- (Britain, informal, often with "the") An unfortunate situation; trouble, problems (a fix, a mess); chaos.
- 1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter I and X:
- B. Wickham had also the disposition and general outlook on life of a ticking bomb. In her society you always had the uneasy feeling that something was likely to go off at any moment with a pop. You never knew what she was going to do next or into what murky depths of soup she would carelessly plunge you. [...] “It may be fun for her,” I said with one of my bitter laughs, “but it isn't so diverting for the unfortunate toads beneath the harrow whom she plunges so ruthlessly in the soup.”
- (surfing) The foamy portion of a wave.
- alphabet soup
- beef soup
- beer soup
- bird's nest soup
- bread soup
- canned soup
- chicken soup
- condensed soup
- cream soup
- dessert soup
- duck soup
- egg droup soup
- fish soup
- French onion soup
- fruit soup
- in the soup
- leek soup
- lentil soup
- miso soup
- mock turtle soup
- noodle soup
- oxtail soup
- pea soup
- polygon soup
- primordial soup
- she-crab soup
- soup bone
- soup bowl
- soup du jour
- soup dumpling
- soup fire
- soup kitchen
- soup legs
- soup of the day
- Thai: ซุป (súp)
- (まれに) To feed: to provide with soup or a meal.
- 1896, Charles Reade, Readiana; Comments on Current Events, page 2:
- 1904 October, East is East and West is West, in The Vassar Miscellany, volume 34, number 1, page 236:
- 2011, Diza Sauers, Historama, page 152:
- (photography) To develop (film) in a (chemical) developing solution.
- 1970 December, in The Rotarian, volume 117, number 6, page 31:
- 1991, Ruth Jean Dale, Society Page:
- 1998, Edward Gorman, Cold Blue Midnight:
- (obsolete) To proselytize by feeding the impoverished as long as they listen to one's preaching.
- (obsolete) To sweep.
- 1808, Joseph Hall, Josiah Pratt, “Quo Vadis? A Censure of Travel”, in Miscellaneous works, page 238:
- We can tell of those cheap-dieted men, that live about the head of Ganges, without meat, without mouths, feeding only upon air at their nostrils; or of those headless eastern people, that have their eyes in their breast; a mis-conceit arising from their fashion of attire, which I have sometimes seen; or those Coromandae, of whom Pliny speaks, that cover their whole body with their ears; or of the persecutors of St. Thomas of Canterbury, whose posterity, if we believe the confident writings of Degrassalius, are born with long and hairy tails, souping after them; which, I imagine, gave occasion to that proverbial jest, wherewith our mirth uses to upgraid the Kentish; or of Amazons; or Pigmies; or Satyrs;
該当件数 : 2042件
塩汁という料理 - EDR日英対訳辞書
|Copyright (c) 1995-2021 Kenkyusha Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.|
|Copyright © Benesse Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.|
|© 2000 - 2021 Hyper Dictionary, All rights reserved|
|Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.|
|All Rights Reserved, Copyright © Japan Science and Technology Agency|
日本語ワードネット1.1版 (C) 情報通信研究機構, 2009-2010 License All rights reserved.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. License
|Copyright(C)2002-2021 National Institute of Information and Communications Technology. All Rights Reserved.|
|Copyright © 2021 CJKI. All Rights Reserved|
|Copyright © 2021 Cross Language Inc. All Right Reserved.|
Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.
Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) and/or GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL).
Weblio英和・和英辞典に掲載されている「Wiktionary英語版」の記事は、Wiktionaryのsoup (改訂履歴)の記事を複製、再配布したものにあたり、Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA)もしくはGNU Free Documentation Licenseというライセンスの下で提供されています。
|CMUdict||CMUdict is Copyright (C) 1993-2008 by Carnegie Mellon University.|