|on the cárpet||púll the cárpet (óut) from ùnder a person|
|swéep…ùnder the cárpet|
該当件数 : 1708件
成句on the carpet
成句pull the carpet (out) from under |a| |person|'|s| feet
成句sweep ... under the carpet
From late Middle English carpette, from Old French carpite, from Medieval Latin carpita/Italian carpita, introduced in the 13th century by the Florentines from the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, from Middle Armenian կարպետ (karpet, “carpet, rug”), earlier կապերտ (kapert).
- A fabric used as a complete floor covering.
- 1913, Mrs. [Marie] Belloc Lowndes, chapter I, in The Lodger, London: Methuen, →OCLC; republished in Novels of Mystery: The Lodger; The Story of Ivy; What Really Happened, New York, N.Y.: Longmans, Green and Co., […], , →OCLC, page 0016:
- 1946 March and April, “State Railway Dreams”, in Railway Magazine, page 67:
- The railways are anxious to refurbish their stations and rolling stock when they can get labour and materials, although it is unlikely that they contemplate deep carpets in wayside waiting rooms. Lack of carpets at present is not confined to railways, and roaring fires in the present fuel scarcity would probably be considered anti-social in wayside waiting rooms.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 1, in The China Governess:
- (figurative) Any surface or cover resembling a carpet or fulfilling its function.
- 1595 December 9 (first known performance), William Shakespeare, “The life and death of King Richard the Second”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, →OCLC, [Act III, scene iii]:
- Any of a number of moths in the geometrid subfamily Larentiinae
- (obsolete) A wrought cover for tables.
- (slang, vulgar) A woman's pubic hair.
The terms carpet and rug are often used interchangeably, but various distinctions are drawn. Most often, a rug is loose and covers part of a floor, while a carpet covers most or all of the floor, and may be loose or attached, while a fitted carpet runs wall-to-wall.
- black carpet beetle
- boom carpet
- broadleaf carpet grass
- Brussels carpet
- call on the carpet
- carpet bagger
- carpet beater
- carpet bedding
- carpet beetle
- carpet bomb
- carpet bombing
- carpet bowling
- carpet bowls
- carpet bugle
- carpet burn
- carpet fitter
- carpet grass
- carpet joint
- carpet kisser
- carpet knife
- carpet knight
- carpet moth
- carpet muncher
- carpet munching
- carpet python
- carpet rod
- carpet shark
- carpet slipper
- carpet snake
- carpet sweeper
- carpet viper
- carpet washer
- carpet weed
- collared carpet shark
- crazy carpet
- deep pile carpet
- Dutch carpet
- fitted carpet
- flying carpet
- magic carpet
- mountain carpet clover
- on the carpet
- oriental carpet
- Oriental carpet
- red carpet
- roll out the red carpet
- sandy carpet
- satin carpet
- scorched carpet
- Sierpinski carpet
- squaw carpet
- sweep something under the carpet
- the carpet matches the drapes
- tragic carpet
- Turkey carpet
- under the carpet
- upon the carpet
- walking carpet
- wood carpet
- To lay carpet, or to have carpet installed, in an area.
- (transitive) To substantially cover something, as a carpet does; to blanket something.
- 2017, Jennifer S. Holland, For These Monkeys, It’s a Fight for Survival., National Geographic (March 2017)
- (UK) To reprimand.
- 1992 June 24, Edwina Currie, Diary:
- At 4pm, the phone went. It was The Sun: 'We hear your daughter's been expelled for cheating at her school exams...'
She'd made a remark to a friend at the end of the German exam and had been pulled up for talking.
As they left the exam room, she muttered that the teacher was a 'twat'. He heard and flipped—a pretty stupid thing to do, knowing the kids were tired and tense after exams. Instead of dropping it, the teacher complained to the Head and Deb was carpeted.
lay a carpet
lay a carpet
a shabby carpet
a fitted carpet
unroll a carpet
the carpet rolled out
a woolen carpet
roll out a carpet
a gold carpet
該当件数 : 1708件
|Copyright (c) 1995-2023 Kenkyusha Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.|
|Copyright © Benesse Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.|
|© 2000 - 2023 Hyper Dictionary, All rights reserved|
|Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.|
|All Rights Reserved, Copyright © Japan Science and Technology Agency|
|Copyright (C) 2023 ライフサイエンス辞書プロジェクト|
日本語ワードネット1.1版 (C) 情報通信研究機構, 2009-2010 License All rights reserved.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. License
|Copyright(C)2002-2023 National Institute of Information and Communications Technology. All Rights Reserved.|
|Copyright © 2023 CJKI. All Rights Reserved|
|Copyright © 2023 Cross Language Inc. All Right Reserved.|
Copyright (C) 1994- Nichigai Associates, Inc., All rights reserved.
Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) and/or GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL).
Weblio英和・和英辞典に掲載されている「Wiktionary英語版」の記事は、Wiktionaryのcarpet (改訂履歴)の記事を複製、再配布したものにあたり、Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA)もしくはGNU Free Documentation Licenseというライセンスの下で提供されています。
|CMUdict||CMUdict is Copyright (C) 1993-2008 by Carnegie Mellon University.|