(…と)見える 《★【用法】 通例話し手の推量をこめた見方・判断を示す語で，文法上の主語と判断の主体は一致しないことが多く，時に判断の主体を示すのに to a person を従えることがある; ★進行形なし; ★【類語】 seem は通例話し手の主観的判断を表わす; appear は外観がそのように見えるということを意味するが，「実際はそうではないかもしれない」という含みをもつことがある; look も appear と同じように外面的なことを表わすが，「実際もそうである」ということが多い》:
It would seem that something is wrong with the radio set. どうもラジオの調子がおかしいようだ 《★【比較】 It seems that… よりも婉曲な表現法》.
|càn't [cannòt] séem to dó…|
出典:『Wiktionary』 (2015/03/14 08:07 UTC 版)
From Middle English semen "to seem, befit, be becoming" from Old Norse sœma (“to conform to, beseem, befit”) (> Danish sømme (“beseem”)) from sœmr (“fitting, seemly”), from Proto-Germanic *sōmijaną (“to unite, fit”), akin to Old Norse sōmi (“honour”) ( > archaic Danish somme (“decent comportment”)), 古期英語 sēman (“to reconcile, bring an agreement”), 古期英語 sōm (“agreement”).
- (copulative) To appear; to look outwardly; to be perceived as.
- 1813 (14thc.), Dante Alighieri, The Vision of Hell as translated by The Rev. H. F. Cary.
- 1879, Richard Jefferies, The Amateur Poacher, chapter1:
- They burned the old gun that used to stand in the dark corner up in the garret, close to the stuffed fox that always grinned so fiercely. Perhaps the reason why he seemed in such a ghastly rage was that he did not come by his death fairly. Otherwise his pelt would not have been so perfect. And why else was he put away up there out of sight?—and so magnificent a brush as he had too. […].
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 2, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- That the young Mr. Churchills liked—but they did not like him coming round of an evening and drinking weak whisky-and-water while he held forth on railway debentures and corporation loans. Mr. Barrett, however, by fawning and flattery, seemed to be able to make not only Mrs. Churchill but everyone else do what he desired.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, The China Governess:
2012 August 5, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “I Love Lisa” (season 4, episode 15; originally aired 02/11/1993)”:
- So while Ralph generally seems to inhabit a different, more glorious and joyful universe than everyone else here his yearning and heartbreak are eminently relateable. Ralph sometimes appears to be a magically demented sprite who has assumed the form of a boy, but he’s never been more poignantly, nakedly, movingly human than he is here.
- (obsolete) To befit; to beseem.
該当件数 : 1134件
Make it seem brighter.
もっと明るく見せて。 - Weblio Email例文集
These seem to be totally...
これらは全く～と思える。 - Weblio Email例文集
These seem to be...
これらは～と思える。 - Weblio Email例文集